Sunday, May 10, 2009

No, He is not safe, but He is good!

I remember running on the beach one morning when I was 19 and being awed that the water reached further than my eyes could ever see. I slowed my jog to a walk and then slowed my walk to standing still facing the water. For the first time ever my teenage pride was shattered, and I was aware how I am really weak and small. I love the ocean. I love all my memories from growing up near the water and spending many summer afternoons jumping waves and building sand castles. I love laying out with the beach as my backdrop reading a good book or listening to good music. When given a choice of where to vacation, I will choose a beach 90% of the time.

This morning I was reading from a book called, "The God who Smokes", and the author quoted C.S. Lewis' Narnia where Mr. Beaver is explaining to the children about Aslan the Lion. Having never met a lion before, the children in the book ask Mr. Beaver if Aslan is "quite safe". The beaver says, "Oh no... He is not safe, but He IS good!"

Aslan and the ocean hold similar qualities. Both are good and beautiful, but neither are safe. The lion could destroy you in mere seconds just as the ocean could swallow you whole. Isn't that why we worship God? He is good, beautiful, glorious, kind, merciful, and trustworthy. However, He is also wrathful, dangerous, mysterious, just, and jealous.

I worship a fierce and protective God that is swift and mighty, but also gentle and compassionate.

I will spend a total of about 6 days at a beach this month. Three days at Crystal Beach near Galveston, and then three more in Mexico. My prayer is that I worship the Creator of the ocean, knowing He is not safe, but that He is good!"



Also, Happy Mother's Day to my wonderful mom!!!



To my beautiful sister, who is a great mom to Addie (and soon to be Macy)!



To my mother in laws, who raised a fabulous son!

3 comments:

Lindsey Brittain said...

Good post lovie! I love it when you write!

Kristyn said...

That C.S Lewis quote is my favorite from all the Narnia series!...I've never thought of it relating to the beach...very cool. :)
Hope you have great times at the beach!

Lauren Williams said...

great quote, love that pic of you and your mom