Monday, September 10, 2007

Addict

After Matt's sermon last week I realized that Narcissism is indeed something that plagues us all. His words sparked my memory of an old journal entry that I thought I would share.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i am an addict,
an addict of self.

i nurse my flesh and walk in comfort.
i am an addict of self.

i am intimately acquainted with all that i think i need
and make every attempt to see those met.

i am an addict,
an addict of self.

i feed my desires the choicest of luxuries, comforts, and delicacies;
anything that will curb my satisfaction pangs.
i am an addict of self.

eat, drink, and be merry is what my flesh screams out,
and there is no fight or even resistance from within.
i am an addict of self.

deserver of comfort, earner of rights,
happiness found within my own hand.
i am addicted to self.

i will steal, lie, conquer, twist, ignore,
project, hold back, exalt, humor, massage, insult
all to protect and glorify myself.
i am an addict of self.

i beg you to tear down this monstrous idol.
demolish it and carry me away from the rubble.
consume me, break me, open my eyes, protect
me from reconstructing another idol in my own image.

i am an addict,
an addict of self.

Jesus, you wooed and awakened me with a touch of your grace.
my soul was stirred and reactive.
you imparted love and mercy,
you know my filth and stench,
but still you chose to sacrifice, wash, clothe me in white.

i am an addict,
an addict of self saved by the blood of Jesus.

8 comments:

Lisa Allen said...

beautiful.

Nat Pat said...

soooo good. thanks for sharing.

Kent said...

Holla back. That was nice. You are a talented writer indeed. Thank you for putting this out here, and letting us all reflect in a poetic way on truth.

Reflecting on Psalm 119 some more, there are so many testimonies--of good and bad--to cling to, and we are called to remember them all.

I'm so thankful for the affliction that brings knee dropping humility before Christ, and a total dependence on His love.

I'm so thankful He led you to remember and share.

Lauren Williams said...

oh, how badly i do not want to understand this poem.

Bex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bex said...

yeah, what kent said. ;)

Lindsey Brittain said...

Like I said when you read this to me.....I need to see this in print in some form. Thanks. =)

Finally an Abrigg..... said...

I, like Lauren, wish I didn't understand this poem.