Friday, July 06, 2007

Chynna and Helen

In fourth grade I asked my mom to cut off my hair so that I would look like Chynna Phillips from the band Wilson Phillips. The mushroom-cut blonde hair coupled with my intense overbite and tendency repel anything remotely girly did not leave me looking as pretty as Chynna did as she cried out with the Wilson sisters "I know that there is pain, but you hold on for one more day...". Instead the haircut caused people to occasionally mistake me for a boy, which would leave me in tears and my sister in stitches. That same year, I chose to research Helen Keller for a biography project. As presentation day grew near, I thought it would be an excellent idea to not only tell the class about her, but also dress and act like her for that entire school day. Though it got me an A on the project, it did not equal popularity among peers. On career day I thought long and hard about what path I would choose before eventually settling on becoming an author. Immediately I began writing elaborate plays for my friends to act out, penning short stories, and devouring novels beyond my maturity level. Throughout school my teachers encouraged me to pursue this talent, often using my writings as examples in class and urging me to submit my stories to local publications. Though the passion for Chynna and Helen faded, the love for writing remained.

Fifteen years later, I am not an author and my writing is limited to personal journal entries and emails. I think the passion for writing was stuffed down as I learned to play it safe and began competing regularly in the comparison game. In comparing my talent with others, I no longer felt like it was strong enough to really develop to the point of selling novels. Reality taught me to stick with life choices that are stable and not quite as vulnerable. I don't know, or honestly really care if I could have been successful in some writing realted field, but I do hate that a God given passion sizzled away due to a fear of not being good enough. So, while others are updating the world on the events of their life through blogging, I will be using it to reignite my lost passion.

10 comments:

Lindsey Brittain said...

Awww I'm like a proud little mama....I love it when you write...I hope this allows you to do it more! Love you!

Bex said...

your new nickname is Helen.

Sum said...

this is the best thing ever!!!!!!

Nat Pat said...

wow...i think you still got "it". can't wait to hear more!

Finally an Abrigg..... said...

I am adding you to my friends list. :)

chavon taylor said...

come on helpert. i'm excited to read more!!

Them Chandlers said...

We have even more in common than I realized :) You go girl.

Chynna was always my favorite.

Keep writing!

KimBeau Hughes said...

I feel like there is a picture missing from your blog post, and I will be checking back for this update to your post. "Thanks for sharing."

MHelpert said...

Isn't it strange that fact is always better than fiction? Yes, all that you said was true....I even remember the picture you were talking about. Wonder if I could find it??? God gave you a gift and it is writing.
Love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!