Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tuesday 8:44 pm

I don't have anything too exciting to type away about or any pictures to share, but I felt like writing...so I am writing. It's 8:44 pm on Tuesday night, and the Rabalais' apartment is pretty quiet. Kent and I are in our low-key nightly posture with our laptops in our laps. He is probably checking a sports, news, or theological website/blog, and I am checking in on all my newly found creative's blogs.

I have been thinking a lot about Easter and the resurrection. On Monday and Tuesday I polled my kids at work about what they did to celebrate the holiday. Most of them talked about how much candy they received or what toy the Easter bunny hid (Did you know that kids get things like scooters, soccer balls, and Wii games for Easter???). Very few mentioned going to church, and when I asked if they went to church I would say about 40-50% said yes. I asked each group filled of my little speech darlings if they knew the real reason we celebrated Easter, and 2 out of my 43 kids explained the resurrection well. One little girl named Lauren (who was born in China and then adopted by a beautiful family) received a new bible for Easter, because her old bible was falling apart. She goes to Irving Bible, and lives in a home that believes and lives for Jesus. Today when I asked her to share why Easter is important she told the story of the death, burial, and resurrection as well as I could tell it. I love hearing little Lauren with her speech impaired /r/ sound say, "Jesus died on the cwoss fo ow sins..." She preached, and the Lord exulted over her with singing and dancing as she shared the beautiful gospel!! I pray tonight that those little first grade minds are spinning with the information Lauren, the 1st grade evangelist, shared. Here is a picture of sweet Lauren (I think that name is annointed, every Lauren I know is amazing!)



We live in "Christian" nation (DFW=biblebelt!!!), and 2 out of 40 kids know why we celebrate Easter?!?! And, even worse yet 18 other kids went to church and still think that Easter is about bunnies and eggs! God, please have mercy on our souls and bring revival to Flower Mound. Let us not walk blindly thinking this life is about our comfort and happiness, but instead may we look to Christ and His Kingdom for our joy.

Only 37 days of work remaining for the 2008-09 school year, and then about 2 1/2 months off! Praying through and preparing for what the summer is going to look like, so I don't wake up one day in late August and all I have accomplished is a good tan. Lord, please let me be resourceful with my time. I am going to do a little therapy, and a lot of reading, writing, and cooking. I am already giddy just thinking about it!!

Okay, it's time to start preparing for tomorrow's workday...My 4:40 am alarm will be going off in only a few hours...

Kent has to go out of town for a week starting on Friday :(, so I am determined to post again while he is gone. Until then...good night!

4 comments:

The Hunters said...

kristen, i love what you said about Easter. I feel the same way and was convicted about how we "christians" celebrate easter as well. i want so much more for my kids than candy and toys...and love hearing other people desire that too!
thank you!

Norm said...

I'm counting down the school year with ya! Love your blog, keep it up!!!!

Sum said...

good post! I concur with everything.

one more post until Kent gets back. I am holding you to it! Possibly a post about how you have a sobfest while watching Marley and Me?

Lauren Williams said...

aw :) i wish i could hear her with her r's talk about Jesus :)

thanks again for picking us up!! :) remember me when you need the favor returned!