Saturday, March 28, 2009

Five Senses

This weekend has been dedicated to low key and rest. Our lives have entered into the busyness of spring with plans almost every weeknight, so we often find ourselves counting down the hours until there are no alarm clocks set before 6 am and long days in the comfort of our home.

Saturday mornings I have the joy of leading a Step Study Recovery Group made up of about 20 amazing, courageous women. We ended up discussing how to learn to be fully present in the season the Lord currently has us in. So we all agreed that we no longer want to live in our imagination of the future saying, "Things will be better when ________________ happens." I want all my senses to be alive to the blessings that God gives daily. I want to say with Paul in Philippians 4:11-13, "I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content"

Kinda on that same note, I also want to be drink deeply in the blessings the Lord has provided. Tonight I found this blog, and every Friday she does a post about how her 5 senses were engaged that day. I loved the idea! So, as I pray for acute awareness and contentment, I too am posting ways the Lord allows me to use my senses in my environment.

Father, I praise you alone for sight, sound, taste, touch, and smell.

(Disclaimer: I found this blog literally 20 minutes ago, so there are no fancy pictures to accompany my post :)

Sight: A really, really clean house. I spent a few hours today deep cleaning, and the rest of the day enjoying the sights of a clean house...no more dust on the fan, spots on the mirror, or shoes in the living room.

Sound: Explosions in the Sky. To me, their music is perfect for lots of different occasions...even cleaning!

Taste: Sushi! Kent and I had takeout sushi tonight from Oishi, our favorite neighborhood Japanese restaurant.

Touch: Kent's stubble :). Sounds a little strange, but I love how Kent's face feels against mine in a hug when he hasn't shaved for a few days.

Smell: Coffee from Starbucks. I admit that am a Starbucks junkie, but there is no better way to start a cold (yep, 35 degrees in March) Saturday morning.

So, that's my Saturday night five blessings through my five senses post! I put this on Facebook, but I like this picture and blogs are always more fun with a picture. Here is Mom, Addie, and I last week during Spring Break.

4 comments:

Czarina said...

Great post!
I agree with the myth of thinking "things will be better when _______..."

Unknown said...

God has a great way of letting people's paths cross....even on the internet! I just found your blog and love your post about the Five Senses. In fact, I wrote a book that you will probably love entitled, *Loving God With All Five Senses*! In the book each sense represents something in the spiritual: taste = desire/passion for God; touch = worship; sight = vision/purpose; hearing = faith; smell = discernment. You can check it out at my website, www.legacyministries.info. You can see a 3 1/2 minute DVD about it.

Be Blessed Indeed!
Tammy Melton
www.tammymelton.blogspot.com

Lauren Williams said...

i like this :) how do you find all these cool blogs?

Sum said...

good post!!! Way to keep up blogging. I will need another in about 7 days. Thank you.