Sunday, September 21, 2008

A few of my favorite things...

I have a desire to create a home. A home that is well organized, clean, and calm. I want my husband to want to come home and to be able to find rest here in our little 2 bedroom apartment. I want it to be filled with guests and laughter. I want our home to be a place of prayer and solitude. I want to learn to be an excellent cook and run my household well. Titus 2, Ephesians 5, and Proverbs 31 tell me that these desires aren't coincidence, these desires are from the Lord. I know I am only 2 months in, but I thought I would share a few of my favorite "home" things. Who knows, it is a lazy Sunday afternoon...I might just add all sorts of things I appreciate.

First, the Swiffer WetJet Mop. This makes mopping easy and effortless. No bucket, no nasty rope strings to wring out...just a simple cloth that attaches with velcro. Genius!!



Next, the KitchenAid Stand Mixer. I can't explain what the difference is between this and a hand mixer...but I know that this machine has already made amazing mashed potatoes, sheet cake, and a few other desserts. The best part of this is that we didn't receive it as a wedding present, so every time I saw one I would just stare at it and think about the day I would be an owner of one. On my birthday Kent covered my eyes and led me to the kitchen, when he took his hands away there sat my very own KitchenAid mixer!


This next one is near and dear to my heart, but has little to do with creating a home. I have fallen in love with my french press coffee maker. I grind up fresh coffee, and a few minutes later I have the most delicious coffee on the face of the planet. It has to be a weekend treat because it takes a little long for the weekdays.



During the week I rely on my Hamilton Beach BrewStation. It makes excellent coffee and you can serve it one cup at a time. Thanks Glo for introducing me to this coffee maker.



Two magazines that have been crucial to our Tuesday night guest dinners and crucial to feeding my husband...Cooking Light and Rachel Ray. I love the recipes in both of these magazines, and so far only one has been a complete bust, but that was my fault for not following the recipe exactly as it was written. Too much gorgonzola cheese and your husband will say, "Babe, it tastes like soap." Ha, ha...we had to throw it out it was so gross!




Our two favorite restaurants that we are dying to have in Flower Mound, Posados and Cheesecake Factory. You think you've had good fajitas, but you haven't had anything until you have had the fajitas at Posados! The Cheesecake Factory is good for anything you're in the mood for...meatloaf, breakfast, pasta, etc. We can't leave without getting Kent a slice of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake. Good thing I am not a fan, otherwise I would already weigh a million pounds!





All three of my blog followers know that I have always enjoyed running. I am convinced that I will buy Asic running shoes for the rest of my life. I don't know what it is, but I promise they are the best running shoe...I ran my marathon and all 6 half marathons in Asics.



I could keep going and going, but it is time to cook our Sunday dinner/Cowboys game food. I will end with three of my favorite pictures from the wedding.

This first one is after my dad and I danced. Growing up my dad and I danced a lot in our kitchen, so it was very important to me to dance with him on my wedding day.



This is my niece and I before the wedding. Addie was abnormally obsessed with me on my wedding day. We decided that I was the closest thing she had ever seen to a princess (because of the dress) and that is where her fascination came from. After she walked down the aisle, she ran back down the aisle to the bride's room. It was adorable.




Finally, my Kent and I on our last dance. In college I made a "Life's to do list", and one thing on there was play Nora Jones' Come Away with Me before we left for our wedding night. So, I made arrangements with the DJ and when everyone went downstairs to light their sparklers, I asked Kent to dance and the song was played. It was exactly how I had pictured it!



I love Sunday afternoons. Almost time for some Romo action...Go Cowboys!! Oh, I guess I could add them to my list of favorite things. Don't you think Tony looks a little like Kent. Kent is way hotter, but Tony has a few good features.


11 comments:

Melanie "Meme" Burris said...

That's too funny - I think Colby looks like Tony Romo when he wears his hat backward.

Don't your love the Kitchen Aid Artisian mixer! My mom surprized me with one for my birthday. For me it upgraded my cooking status to "well at least she has the tools to make something good".

The Taylor's said...

i'm hoping for a Kitchen Aid mixer for Christmas.... come onnnnn

Sum said...

I support the kitchen aide mixer because it gives me great Ooey Gooey bars!!! PRAISE HIS NAME.

Haley said...

Apparently there are at least four of us reading your blog, so you will have to update that :) I love reading about your life and meals that taste like soap.

Lauren Williams said...

i gotta say i am not a fan of asics. but maybe i have an odd foot? i have been meaning to by a swiffer for a week- i have the refills just no mop! i am seriously hoping it will change the life of mopping for me because it's one of my most dreaded things to do

The Hunters said...

i agree with lauren...i've been meaning to buy a swiffer for quite a while now, and you've inspired me to just go do it! you also make me want a great cup of coffee! LOVE hearing about your life! miss you!

Nat Pat said...

fun post! maybe i should try out the swiffer mop since i don't have much luck with mop buckets! ;) and i absolutely adore my kitchenaid mixer- makes baking a breeze. such a sweet story about the last dance with kent. love it.

Dawntoya and Adam said...

My floor is way too dirty for a Swiffer. Like this post.

The Ice House said...

love your post! it's so YOU! and it makes me miss you! Thanks to Dawn I have Rachel Ray too and I love her mag! Also her show on the food network is great cause she shows you step-by-step and makes it look SO easy!

Kelly Tarro said...

i remember when you decided in college that you wanted nora jones to be the last song played at your wedding...sorry i missed it!!

Anonymous said...

Yes exactly, in some moments I can reveal that I jibe consent to with you, but you may be making allowance for other options.
to the article there is stationary a suspect as you did in the downgrade issue of this beg www.google.com/ie?as_q=divx pro including divx player 6.7.0 ?
I noticed the axiom you have not used. Or you use the black methods of development of the resource. I suffer with a week and do necheg